Takes about half an hour to cook (an hour if you've got it). Best served immediately, piping hot. As with most chili dishes, it is also excellent reheated the next day.
The basis of this recipe came from Boy Housemate, so all thanks and lip-smacking noises in his direction.
1 can each of kidney beans, black eyed beans and borlotti beans
1 can of chopped tomatoes
Schwarzkopf fajita spice mix (about 1/3 jar)
1 red bell pepper
1-2 cloves of garlic
Tsp-ish of smoked paprika
Juice of 1 lime
Splash of red wine
12 taco shells (or tortilla wraps)
Liberal helpings of cheese (grated)
Soured cream (or vegan soft cheese if preferred)
- Fry the onion and pepper in vegetable oil and some spice mix until the onion is translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, all three tins of beans (drained) and more spices and half the lime juice.
- Stir thoroughly whilst the remaining liquid cooks off, then add a splash of wine, the lime juice and paprika.
- Cook the taco shells as instructed, continuing to cook the bean mixture over a low heat until mushy and without a separate liquid component, stirring constantly. During this time, taste and add more spices if necessary.
- When they are cooked, stuff the tacos with the bean mixture, cheese, lettuce, salsa, sour cream, guacamole, etc. to taste.
- Share with friends.